What is Google My Business?
Google My Business (GMB) is a free online tool that enables you to manage and optimize your business listings and profiles on Google. GMB is a great tool to help optimize and enhance your Google Business listing and profiles’ visibility and its effectiveness in letting potential customers know all about your business and its offerings. Getting your business on Google and managing it through Google My Business is the best way to help your business be located online, attract more customers and one up your competitors.
The main purposes of GMB are to help your business:
- Perform local SEO to help the right customers find you – your GMB dashboard allows you to enter keywords into your business profile.
- Highlight your business by putting it on Google Maps and your customers’ radars.
- Engage with your customers via instant connectivity and the ability to respond to customers interacting with you.
- Gain insights that can help improve your business and its performance
Did you know that the average business is found in 1,009 searches per month, with 84% of these coming from discovery searches and that with Google My Business profiles 49% of businesses receive more than 1,000 Views on Search per month!
7 Reasons Why your business NEEDS to be on Google My Business
- GMB improves SEO ranking - improve your ranking on organic search engines so that more online users come across your business, your business is listed higher up and your business is found for the right reasons, ultimately linking you to your most desirable customers and therefore increasing your website
- GMB creates awareness - more people who didn't know about you can find you based on your location, offerings, or ranking among other like-minded businesses.
- GMB inform your customers – your customers are provided with easy-to-read information regarding your operating hours, where you are located, current promotions and your product and service offerings and any other critical information that informs customers about your business.
- GMB builds credibility - by showcasing your customer reviews, your posts and updates, location, phone number, email, about, reviews, etc. Did you know that 80% of consumers consult a business’s reviews before making buying decisions?
- GMB location - automatically linked to google maps, putting your business on the map to help customers find and travel to This also helps your business be found by customers that are close to you and within your capability to serve.
- GMB connectivity - potential customers can call, email, or direct themselves to your business or social media pages at a click of a GMB also allows you to respond to reviews and messages instantly.
- GMB insights - help you track your businesses performance, reach, consumer actions and insights relating to similar businesses to yours.
How do you set up Google My Business?
First things first, you will need to create a GMB account. This account will be the dashboard from which you will be able to claim and manage your business profile/s and will have the ability to invite other employees or stakeholders’ access to manage and edit any or all your business profiles should you wish to. Once your GMB account is up and running, you will be able to claim and manage any of your business profile/s. Once you have granted yourself management access to your business profile/s you are now ready to start adding more information, personalizing, and optimizing your entire profile to help it stand out above the rest.
Some interesting things to remember when setting up your account:
- Keeping your store times and location up to date will help you get located by people searching for like-minded business products and services within the area and operating times of your business!
- Ensure you have multiple ways for customers to make contact with you - i.e phone number, email address, website, etc. so that your customers can contact you in their preferred way and get the most informed information about your business and offerings
- Listings with photos are 2x as likely to be considered reputable and get 35% more clicks!
- Factors customer care most about: rating, legitimacy, recency, sentiment, responding to reviews and photos!
But wait, there’s a catch…While setting everything up may be simple, the hard part happens when it is time to verify your business so that it can be visible to the public online. Google sends a verification postcard to your physical business address with a code that verifies your business and allows your business profile to be officially published and visible to your customers. The postcard delivery takes up to 22 days to arrive, and with South Africa’s unreliable postal service, this can sometimes take even longer. So, what is the next step?
You can wait for the postcard to arrive at your physical business address in its own due course, or you can bypass Google’s standard verification postcard process and delay by outsourcing a Google My Business verification service. This is a service whereby appointed businesses can verify other businesses within 72 hours, getting your business profiles published and visible in no time.
This service is offered by New Age Explorer as one of our many services. If you wish to see how we can verify and optimize your business profile professionally and efficiently, please visit http://gmb.newageexplorer.co.za/50-off